Timeless Kitchen Tips
October 9, 2020
No one wants to do a renovation every five years – or even every decade. Instead, when a client comes to you for a new design, they are hoping that new kitchen will appear as beautiful and functional in 15 years as it does today. But where do trends fall in this, and how can a designer ensure their projects stand the test of time? This week’s KBTribeChat delved into the topic of timeless kitchen designs to find out what the industry thinks.
What is a timeless kitchen?
- A functional, inviting space for both cooking and gathering.
- One that looks stunning even after several decades.
- A space that adds movement, functionality and makes it easy to access everything you need to cook and clean.
- A timeless kitchen has core elements that don’t need to be changed for a long time.
- This type of kitchen is one that is beautiful, durable and functional. It all comes down to the key pieces and elements in the space.
- A timeless kitchen is one that truly fits its setting and the needs of its users.
How long should a kitchen last to be called timeless?
- A well-maintained kitchen with quality cabinetry should last 30 years and still look good.
- A minimum of five to 10 years is required for a kitchen to even begin to be considered timeless, while there are some designs that can truly remain in vogue for decades to come.
- At least until the next planned remodel, in about 10 or 20 years if not longer.
When it comes to kitchens, what helps them stand the test of time?
- Quality design, regular cleaning and maintenance when required.
- It’s all about the foundational elements – cabinetry, countertops and flooring that won’t go out of style. Hardware, fixtures, décor and furniture are all things that can be easily swapped out.
- Integrating the newest technologies – such as SmartTouch or VoiceIQ – with a streamlined aesthetic enhances both form and function.
- Quality craftsmanship and materials are essential in a timeless kitchen.
- Neutral palettes, high-quality materials and strong countertops like granite are important.
Are there certain cabinet styles, materials, hardware and finishes that will stay timeless?
- Storage solutions can keep your client’s kitchen organized for years to come.
- Shaker cabinets, quartz countertops, natural wood and bronze hardware are all considered to be timeless features.
- Gold finishes offer an element of luxury and sophistication that will always remain timeless in the kitchen.
- Quality is the buzzword for a timeless kitchen. It has to last and function!
By including trends, are we dating the design? Explain!
- That depends on the trend! Plentiful storage and counter space will never go out of style.
- Mix-and-match cabinetry is a trend that can last – especially when paired with neutral colors like white and natural wood.
- It’s all about striking the perfect balance of trendy and timeless. Think natural colors, stone surfaces and Shaker cabinets.
Join the next KBTribeChat by searching for the #KBTribeChat hashtag on Twitter on Wednesdays at 2 p.m. EST.
May 24, 2023 | Trends & Inspirations
ICFF New Product Picks
May 24, 2023 | Business
David Salisbury Launches Bespoke Kitchens Collection
May 23, 2023 | Awards & Events
BlueStar Kitchen Design Contest Call for Entries
May 23, 2023 | People
Fisher & Paykel Welcomes COO
May 22, 2023 | Business
Changes to the NKBA Certification Program
February 6, 2023 | Sponsored
Design Your Perfect Kitchen with the King Slide SIMLEAD Drawer Systems